hdw, may be somewhat OT

Alan Pratt alan at azdev.com
Mon Mar 6 18:48:27 MST 2006

Mark,

I picked up one to the cheapie ECS boards (RS482) along with an AMD
3700+. Actually, it came with the chip. I had a broken ASUS A8N-SLI
being RMA'd, so I wasn't too concerned about the MB. I did gave the MB
a try while waiting for the replacement ASUS, though, and had a
similar experience to yours. I couldn't (easily) get any of my 'nix
distibutions to load or setup. I was able to get WinXP to run without
too much trouble.

Once the ASUS board showed up, I pulled the ECS board and installed
the ASUS... every 'nix I had ran perfectly and setup fine. (FC4,
Suse10, Ubuntu 5.10, Debian 3.1). My opinion is that the ECS boards
are nice an cheap - and for motherboards, you get what you pay for.
The Sermpron's are OK, but plan on a few extra bucks for an Abit,
ASUS, or another one of the mid-tier boards.

- Alan (Pratt - not THE Alan)