Securly deleting files in a journaled file system

Ben Weatherall bweatherall at pdxinc.com
Mon Mar 6 15:15:02 MST 2006

I have been lurking on the list since I left the Phoenix area for Texas
earlier this year. I now need answers from those I know and trust. Help!

In the past, I have used both wipe and shred to remove files from a disk
so they cannot be recovered. I am now having to do this under both Linux
(SuSE SLES-9) and AIX (v5.2) where both use a journaled file system. All
of the documentation says these tools will fail under these conditions.
The final solution needs to handle ext3, Reiser and JFS.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
-Ben Weatherall