Linux Hardware RAID Configuration

George Toft george at georgetoft.com
Mon Mar 6 08:25:37 MST 2006

I have the same mobo and am using the RAID1 feature.  Works fine with no
drivers.

Here's how to test your RAID, since you don't have any critical data
yet.... pull the SATA drive cable off one drive (sata0) and see if it
boots :)  If it boots, then it's working correctly.  Reattach the cable,
reboot, and let the mirror rebuild and repeat for the other drive.

Having used hardware and software RAID, I am a firm believer is software
RAID for the following reason:  You can monitor the status of the RAID
set via the Linux proc filesyste and generate alerts if it ever breaks.
  With this Abit board, I have no idea if the RAID set is broken or not,
except to watch BIOS as it reboots.

There is some pretty good support for S.M.A.R.T. in Linux, and you can
use that to monitor the health of the drives.  Combine that with /proc
monitoring, and you will have a pretty good monitor for your hard drives.

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
My IT Department
www.myITdepartmentAZ.com
480-544-1067

In business, there are always problems.  It's how they are handled
that makes a difference.  Are you happy with your IT Manager?