Linux Hardware RAID Configuration

Jeff Garland jeff at crystalclearsoftware.com
Sun Mar 5 16:16:43 MST 2006

Darrin Chandler wrote:

> If it's *really* hardware raid then you'd only see 1 disk. You can only
> see the disk at all through the controller, after all. So the controller
> isn't taking over at that level.

This is my suspicion...and what you are saying validates what it says in:

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/linux-adv/raid.htm#_Toc92809999

   Hardware RAID configuration is usually done via the system BIOS
   when the server boots up, and once configured, it is absolutely
   transparent to Linux. Unlike software RAID, hardware RAID requires
   entire disks to be dedicated to the purpose and when combined with
   the fact that it usually requires faster SCSI hard disks and an
   additional controller card, it tends to be expensive.

So I'll goof around with the bios settings a bit to make sure I have
them right.

> You may have one of the SATA
> hardware/software combo raid systems that have been going around (I have
> one). If your OS doesn't support it then you can't use it as raid. I'm
> not at all sure of Ubuntu.

The system doesn't have an OS yet.  I've been experimenting with a few
distros as I'm ready to give up on Mandrake that I'm using for eons and
try something else.  So far it's been mostly problems.  The straight
Debian 3.1 R1 hangs on the install, Ubuntu 64 bit Live CD (acquired as a
prize at the Dev meeting the other night, Thx!) blows up on the X
startup.  So I was trying the Ubuntu 64 bit installed CD to see if I
could work out an X config.  I've long since passed my usual tolerance
for this sort of 'fun'....but I digress...

As for the RAID support, Ubuntu clearly has it, but I think what they
are talking about is Software RAID where the hardware isn't used.

> I know there are drivers and stuff for it for
> Linux, but I don't have any details. I believe the guys at Linux
> Certified will ship that way as an option. Wish I had more to tell you.

Thx -- every little bit helps.

Jeff