ot: Network config confusion

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Mar 5 08:44:39 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 00:02 -0700, Michael Sammartano wrote:
> Ok so I have a server with 2 nics.
> I am trying to set it up as a domain controler.
> I have the first nic getting ip from isp via dhcp.
> On the LAN side I have a router and 2 boxes.
> How do I set the LAN side up? I am thinking that is nic0 (WANside) has
> ip from isp.
>
> nic1 (LAN side) say 192.168.0.2 should be set as this:
>  ip: 192.168.0.2
> netmask: 255.255.255.0
> gw: 192.168.0.1
>
> router address is 192.168.0.1
> netmask: 255.255.255.0
> gw: Either nic0 address or isp gateway(thinking ip address of nic0) ?
>
> nic0 (wan)
> ip: from isp
> netmask: from isp
> gw: from isp
---
not sure that this has anything to do with being a domain controller -
did you mean to say that you want to make this system a router?

if so - you can make your life simple merely by using a Linux
distribution like ipcop which will lead you by the hand and set
everything up for you - like it were a store bought router

If you want to get the experience of setting up your own router, what
distribution are you using? There are probably guides for your
distribution that would be helpful to follow such as this for
RedHat/Fedora distributions...

http://www.brennan.id.au/

if you are looking for network basics...

Linux calls your network cards eth[0,1,2,3..]

if eth0 is provided via dhcp, it sets gateway for you
then eth1 (your LAN) would merely have a local IP address ...192.168.0.2

If you are using a separate router, I doubt you want 2 network interface
cards on that system.

Your question isn't clear so the answer can't be clear.

Craig