gather information on NICs

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Thu Mar 2 12:10:54 MST 2006

Alex Dean said:
> I'm building an IPCop firewalll, and having some trouble getting all
> the NICs (3 of them) configured.  The 2 new NICs are in the IPCop
> HCL, and IPCop finds a correct driver to use, so I don't think that's
> the issue.
--[clip]--

Alex, must suggestion for these situations is to do the NICs one at a time.

- Remove or disable all NICs except one.
- Install IPCop with the one NIC, that you know is eth0, defined as Green.
- Shutdown and install or enable another NIC.
- Boot to the prompt and run the setup command at the prompt, as root.
- Assign the new card as Red.
- Shutdown and install or enable the third NIC.
- Boot to the prompt and run the setup command at the prompt, as root.
- Assign the new card as Orange (or Blue).

This way you don't have to know IRQs and other values, letting the new
hardware discovery process at boot find each card in turn.

Alan