kernel

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 2 09:31:11 MST 2006

You didn't say what distro you have, which would make a lot of difference.
If it's an older one, and wasn't designed with the intent to support 2.6
kernels, you might have to upgrade other packages before dropping in 2.6.

I find it easier to download the whole kernel source.  If you get a patch,
you have to know what you're patching, and if you have never run the patch
command it can take a few tries to get it right.  Of course, it's a learning
experience, so it isn't all bad if you have the time :)

I usually prefer using a "vanilla" kernel, with source straight from
kernel.org, but at some time in the past, on I believe it was a Fedora
distro, the package management tools whined about a non-standard kernel and
warned that things might not work properly.  Instead of worrying about it, I
switched to an "official" kernel for that instance.

What sorts of things didn't work?  The only kernel-related problems I've had
personally was just lack of support for something I wanted to do.