Automatic SMP?

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Tue Jun 27 12:23:56 MST 2006

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 11:00, Slide wrote:
> > Thanks, Kurt.  Being newly returned to SUSE, I need some pointers now and
> > then.  I figured it had to be available in an easier way than recompiling
> > the source.
> >
> > Alan
>
> It is in 2.6.17, they added automatic detection of SMP, I think I
> noted that before.

I was working on the assumption that the question was if SUSE would detect if
the CPU was SMP or not during the installation and automatically install the
single or SMP-enabled version of the kernel based on that.  Since SUSE
doesn't ship 2.6.17 (and, I imagine, only Gentoo does at this point),
assuming that the kernel would detect the CPU type and adapt isn't really an
option.