[NF] RegEditFix ... Is this for real

Victor Odhner vodhner at cox.net
Mon Jun 26 20:46:06 MST 2006

Anthony Boynes wrote:
> This sounds like popup spam.  I tracked those messages with ethereal
> once.  They are udp  messages with faked source addresses, designed to
> take advantage of the windows messaging service.
Nowadays if you Google for the specific wording of the message,
you'll find lots of discussions of this marketing fraud.

The Windows Messaging Service is one of those "features" that they
used to enable by default, even though it has no proper use except under
rare situations when an admin might want to notify users of something.
It pops up an official looking dialog box . . .

. . . and basically anyone can invoke it across the Net!

So it's been used extensively with this specific message, trying to get you
to buy a registry cleaner.

I think on the newer systems they have this disabled by default.

So the simple and standard advice for this particular scam is:

    Google for instructions to disable Windows Messaging.

Vic