First Linux Experience

Michael bmike101 at cox.net
Mon Jun 26 16:06:05 MST 2006

My first linux experience was when a friend told me about Linux and I went to
the GCC installfest to put linux on my box. At that time it was redhat v? in
2002 (i think) (this is the installfest where Hans got the red fedora). Well,
I took it home and couldn't get the internet going (unbeknownst to me I had a
winmodem). After I discovered that I bought a real modem (USR internal) and
got online. Or maybe the frustration led me to dump redhat. About six months
later tecnomage came to my house and put mandrake on the box. Something else
was wrong so I never booted linux (as with redhat). About a year after that I
put debian/mepis on and everything worked. I have happily been running Mepis
since and within the past 6 months increased the size of my system partition
by deleting my windows partition and reinstalling Mepis onto /dev/hda1.

if you care:

                                               before

hda1 		    hda2 		      hda3 			     hda4
windows		linux sys		linux home		linux home

					        after

hda1 		    	   	 		      hda3 			     hda4
linux sys						linux home		linux home