First Linux Experience

Daniel Parraz daniyel95 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 26 08:59:52 MST 2006

My first Linux experience was in 2001, with Slackware version 7.x, on a Compaq 200Mhz Pentium, with 64Mb Ram, and boy did it take this newb at the time awhile to complete install and get X up and running. I did learn a ton about my hardware, and created a habit of making sure that the hw I was installing Linux on was compatible and stable.

I also learned that X wasn't something I wanted to use, as I needed to focus on CLI, and wait for X to be slightly more refined. With Slackware, I went up to about version 8.x, and decided I was comfortable enough to move on to another distro. Since then, I have installed and configured just about every Linux and BSD distro/version I could obtain.

Currently, I use CentOS for headless boxes, and Suse 10.0 retail for my Laptop and desktop, but will be changing the desktop to another distro shortly.

Proud to say that the only window$ I have in my house, are by way of my work appointed Sthinkpad T30.

Daniel Parraz
Tucson, AZ

"Wagner, Steven G" <digital9ja at cox.net> wrote: With Betty posting about RH9 I got thinking about my first experience with
Linux. RH6.2 (Cartman) on a dual boot Pentium Pro 233MZ with Winbloze '98.
feh, last time I paid M$ for anything!

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear about other member's first experiences
with Linux and what you're using today. I'm now running OPENSUSE 10.1 on
laptop and desktop (though desktop will be reverting back to hardened Gentoo
as soon as I get some free time).

Viva Linus!

Long Live LAMP!

www.gentoo.org
www.apache.org
http://dev.mysql.com/
www.php.net/

...because Windows/IIS/MySQL/PHP = WIMP!

Check it out:
http://digital9ja.tripod.com