First Linux Experience

stu wien33 at cox.net
Mon Jun 26 01:39:28 MST 2006

	(Sorry about the length of this, everyone!)
	I was running an online parts and technical support service for an importer
of Chinese scooters and Quads (50+ e-mails/day). I had so much trouble
keeping my Windows ME box up and running that I built a second computer just
to back-up the first one. Even after running all the Anti-malware apps I
could afford, and updating them several times a week, re-formatting and
re-installing Windows was a monthly task on at least one of the boxes. I
eventually bought a laptop running WinXP which I hated from the start because
I kept running into problems converting files from one system to the other -
I was essentially limited to rewriting all my repair manuals (including
photos) in either RTF or HTML formats.
	While shopping for a solution at Fry's, I came across a copy of Suse 9.0 for
$35, and I figured "What the heck... it's a fraction of what I'll have to
spend on more M$ crap!".
	A fresh install of Windoze usually lasted 72 hours before picking up it's
first malware requiring a reconfigure and re-boot. The Suse box stayed up and
online 24/7 for over 6 months without any additional attention from me, and
it already had all the additional software I needed. The only issue I had was
one of my supplier's websites was written for M$ Exploiter ONLY, which forced
me to keep one box running M$.
	That was about three years ago. I dumped the Chinese scooter business (and
M$) a year later, and GNU/Linux became my new hobby (Debian, mostly). Even
after all that time, I still consider myself a Noobie... there's always so
much more to learn!
	Stu