can linux save my life again?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jun 24 22:23:02 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 22:13 -0700, Josh Coffman wrote:

> > that
> > grub.conf; and
> > for me.
> >

> > 1. Boot off your Windows CD and enter recovery
> > console mode.
> > 2. Use the following commands: fixboot <enter>
> > fixmbr <enter>
>
> This is interesting... I didn't know about fixboot.
> that may get me going in the right direction. Part of
> the proble is that the bootsecto is on the secondary
> drive while the system is on the primary.
----
I explained this last Tuesday
----

> > 3. Boot back into your windows cd and start setup.
> > At your first chance to "repair" windows, skip it
> > and act like you're doing a new installation.
> > Windows will now search for other windows
> > installations...you can now select to REPAIR the
> > 4. Go through that repair process and all should be
> > booting fine. (If you did this the first time
> > through, your applications and settings should have
> > been fine. This repair option will only delete the
> > windows files and then re-copy them from the cdrom.)
>
> Yeah, I know about the system repair... It just didn't
> give me that option. I was both annoyed and surprised
> by this.
----
I have the impression that this is no longer an option on WinXP SP2 CD's
- I also noticed that wasn't an option on one of those.
----

> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Jason Spatafore
> >

> So what are the odds that hal.dll will get corrupted
> again if I try again?
>
> Also, I tried booting GParted live cd to see if I
> could move some things around but it didn't see the
> SATA drive. Well, not automagically anyway.
----
I think that doing it GUI way isn't gonna be all that effective.

I thought that you might be able to work things through using the dd
commands that I outlined.

Craig