CMS for family website?

Jason Hayes hh at hayz.ws
Wed Jun 21 15:42:40 MST 2006

On Wednesday 21 June 2006 01:48 pm, Alan Dayley wrote:
> I will be putting up a website for my extended family.  Because I don't
> want the job of creating content, I want my parents and each of my
> siblings to each have a section where they can add content, post photos
> and so on; a sort of blog for each of them.  I'd also like a calendar and
> a wiki-like (anyone can edit a page) colaboration capability.  The
> colaboration capability can be separate from the family sections, if need
> be.

I just set up something very similar - a web site for extended family that
will encourage the family to add content, photos, etc.

I used Drupal (4.7.2 - at drupal.org) and found it to be very easy to use,
upgrade, add modules, etc. It also has a lot of addons and other features.

As an aside - I could be wrong, but I don't think you can set up a wiki with
Wordpress.

A couple of features that I liked about Drupal are:
- Acidfree media - photo galleries
- The file permissions module that allows you to restrict access to certain
features by clicking a radio button. (That's nice because you don't want the
sickos out there having access to pictures of kids in your family).
- TinyMCE module - to allow your family to do html formatting with no more
knowledge required than to operate a standard word processor.
- aggregator
- blog
- newsletter module
- several easy to install themes that you're free to customize as much or as
little as you need
- Open Source with a VERY active community of developers and an expansive
forum set up with lots of people willing to offer comments and help.

If you go with Drupal and need some help or info, feel free to drop me an
e-mail.
--
Jason Hayes