data conversion strangeness

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 15 16:14:33 MST 2006

Can't tell you why the extra characters are there, maybe something in the way
you exported from OO?

Some editors will show you the special characters and let you delete them
directly.  If that doesn't work for you I can think of a couple of things.

Use "tr" to change those characters to something like spaces, then fix it
manually.

Use "dd" to write out everything but the first three characters to a new
file.

"sed" might work to delete them, but I'm not a sed expert so I can't be sure.