gcc in chroot

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Thu Jun 15 15:00:12 MST 2006

Darrin Chandler wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 02:45:43PM -0700, Eric Shubes wrote:
>>> I frequently do software (and package) builds in chroot jails on Linux.
>> Thanks, Jeremy. That's encouraging.
>
> One thing to keep in mind is that every utility and library you need
> must exist inside the chroot. Unless Jeremy knows of an easy way to set
> this up, it's going to involve some effort for what you want. It's
> fairly easy to chroot mysql or apache. Less so when you need major parts
> of your tools chain. Often you'll need to use ldd to find what you need
> to move into the chroot (or hardlink as you've done). Then ldd on
> *those* results. Repeat until done.
>
> Jeremy, is there an easier way?!

Yeah, I wrote a script that replicates pretty much the whole f???ing /
tree! Using hard links, only takes up an add'l 100M, instead of 1.4G.
Then, for the files I didn't want to touch on the outside, I removed the
hard links and copied the files. All scripted (takes about 15 cpu
minutes on a P-II 266, 25 minutes real time).

Maybe a little excessive, but I figure it should work! ;)

Thanks, Darrin.
--
-Eric 'shubes'