Graphic Cards for Suse 10.1 and Fedora Core 5

Carl Parrish lists at pcl-consulting.com
Wed Jun 14 16:37:14 MST 2006

Carl Parrish wrote:
> Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up with the PNY Verto NVIDIA
> GeForce 6600 AGP 8X 256 MB DDR Graphics Card ( VCG66256APB ). Its
> proably *way* overkill for my needs but if I'm reading the SUSE hardware
> db correctly (I'm not sure I am) its fully supported. Plus it seems to
> have all the right buzz words going for it, and its *right* at the price
> point of what I was expecting to pay. I may pick up a 6200 later for my
> wife's computer *just* to see if I could have gotten away with it.* *

Just following up wanted to let everyone know that I finally took the
time out to install the new card. Was *very* easy to install,  got the
nvidia drivers working with no big problems. However now I do have my
monitor telling me that the resolution is now set at 1280x768. While
system-config-display says my resolution is at 1680x1050. I haven't
figured out how to resolve that yet. and the bottom of my desktop  is
now offscreen. But that's a small problem. I'll try to see if I can get
SuSE 10.1 install via Xen tonight and let you know what I think about
all the eye candy. (Installed it already on my wife's computer but it
has a intel graphics card and I don't think that will support Xgl).