cross distro help

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Tue Jun 13 12:36:18 MST 2006

I'm putting together a little script that will identify which (rpm
based) distro/version it's running on. (ARCH is easy: uname -p)

I think I have Fedora and CentOS covered. They contain a
/etc/redhat-release file that identifies the distro/version.

I need to identify Mandriva 10.2 and 10.3, and Suse 10.0 and 10.1. Can
anyone using those distro/versions tell me if they have an
/etc/*-release file, and what it contains?

I imagine that I'm probably reinventing a wheel here. Does anyone have
something that does this already, or a better/different way to do this?
--
-Eric 'shubes'