wireless internet providers in the North Phoenix area?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Jun 13 00:19:42 MST 2006

Am 12. Jun, 2006 schwätzte Dennis Kibbe so:

> On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Bill Earl wrote:
>
>> I suppose this is off topic for this list, but it is important to us
>> that any provider we go with have a good relationship with Linux, so
>> perhaps it's not so unrelated.  The subject seems to come up pretty
>> regularly anyway, but it's been a while so I thought I'd ask the group...
>>
>> We're near the Deer Valley airport and have used CyberTrails to provide
>> a nice 1mb connection that we've used as a backup to our regular data
>> connection.   We're moving to a new building this fall and CyberTrails
>> is having trouble getting line of sight to this new building, but I'd
>> like to keep a wireless connection available as backhoe insurance.  :-)
>>
>> Does anyone have any recommendations for a company that can provide high
>> speed wireless Internet access in the northern part of the valley? The
>> connection needs to be at least 1mb inbound and outbound. Thanks for any
>> info you have!
>>
>> Bill
>
> Bill,
>
> We've used Sprint Broadband for years out here near Fountain Hill with great
> service.  Whether you use MAC, Win or Linux shouldn't matter, as the
> provider's resposibility stops when the signal reaches your router, usually.

Unless Sprint has changed policies it hasn't sold new accounts for years.
I started with People's Choice before Sprint bought them and was happy to
move away from Sprint when I could.

EMR used to support PLUG. Kyle left, so I don't know if they still do
GNU/Linux. I also don't know if they do wireless. They're near Deer Valley
airport.

www.EMR.net

I don't know if RNI is still on the air. The web page still comes up.

www.rni.net

Red Seven is providing wireless access points, but I don't think they feed
any location wirelessly. Check with them to find out for certain. Red
Seven definitely supports GNU/Linux and PLUG.

www.RedSevenUSA.com

Depending on your bandwidth needs you might also just look at getting a
wireless card from one of the cell phone providers. Someone told me altel
even leaves ports open and gives you a real IP addy, so you can run
services off the card.

Hmm, probably not 1 Mb off the cell phones.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  Dissent is patriotic.