Why does gksudo ...

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 15:39:23 MST 2006

On 6/12/06, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:

> Am 10. Jun, 2006 schwätzte Dazed_75 so:
>
> > When you issue something like gksudo "gedit foofile" in a terminal in
> gnome,
> > the terminal shows an error message (see below) but the commans works
> > anyway.  Can anyone explain for me in English what is actually
> happening?
> > While I have no problem with the result, it seems like there should be a
> > failure and it makes me curious.
> >
> > (gedit:5638): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
> > Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
> > specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
>
> Not sure. It's a warning, but it seems to be a warning saying, "Hey, this
> isn't going to work."
>
> Can you turn up verbosity on gtksudo?
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans

Interestingly, gksudo does not seem to have a verbosity option like -v.  It
DOES have --debug so I tried that and got:

larry at ldesk:~$ gksudo --debug "gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst"
xauth: /tmp/libgksu1.2-1yI5Y8/.Xauthority
cmd[0]: /usr/bin/sudo
cmd[1]: -H
cmd[2]: -S
cmd[3]: -p
cmd[4]: GNOME_SUDO_PASS
cmd[5]: -u
cmd[6]: root
cmd[7]: --
cmd[8]: gedit
cmd[9]: /boot/grub/menu.lst
buffer: -GNOME_SUDO_PASS-
Yeah, we're in...
(gedit:10011): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
xauth: /tmp/libgksu1.2-1yI5Y8/.Xauthority
xauth_env: /home/larry/.Xauthority
dir: /tmp/libgksu1.2-1yI5Y8

Yes, I agree, the original message, still output, would seem to indicate
failure even though listed as a warning.  The additional debug info clearly
says it DID work.  Curioser and curioser.

The only other thing I found, and I don't see how it would relate to
authentication, is that the root user environment don't not have a DISPLAY
variable.
--
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the
transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them."

Patrick Henry quote