Firefox crashes a lot

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Fri Jun 9 08:13:55 MST 2006

On Friday 09 June 2006 07:25, Lynn Newton wrote:
> I'm just looking for verification that I'm not the only person for
> whom Firefox crashes often, in my case three or four times a day.
> Sometimes more.
>
> I'm running version 1.5.0.4 on SuSE Linux 9.2 on x86-64 (AMD 64)
> architecture. I'll admit that I drive it pretty hard -- Usually have three
> windows open on three slots in my virtual desktop, anywhere from
> two to ten or more tabs per window, stuff like RSS (Sage) and a
> fistful of extensions (Customize Google, FlashGot, WebDeveloper,
> Tab Mix Plus, Image Zoom, ViewSourceWith, Google Toolbar for
> Firefox, Google Notebook, also a bunch of Ajax driven stuff --
> gmail, Google Calendar, and that sort of interactive stuff.
> All of it is up to date.
>
> So it doesn't surprise me when once in a while it takes a dive, and
> so far I've been willing to live with it, since I love Firefox and have
> no intention or desire of switching.
>
> But a widely-used application crashing several times a day?
> The only time I've ever experienced that is running Windows.
> (Which I almost never do.)

I haven't had a "pure" Firefox instance crash on me at all since the days when
it was Phoenix.  By itself, it's remarkably stable on Linux, OS X, and
Windows.

However, I've had uncountable crashes related to extensions.  Things like
Flash cause almost daily 'hangs' and crashes on my daughter's system.
Firefox may be stable, but it seems that *anything* you can add on is not!