Custom Gentoo Compile

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Thu Jun 8 16:25:53 MST 2006

Am 02. Jun, 2006 schwätzte Wagner, Steven G so:

> I came across this article,
> http://www.cpuplanet.com/news/article.php/3111051, and was wondering if
> there was a way I could compile Gentoo with this company's compilers rather
> than GCC. Their compilers are designed to optimize code for Opteron chips,
> so I was thinking that it would be nice to build a 64-bit Linux cluster with
> Opteron servers running Gentoo custom-compiled for Opterons. They claim that
> their compilers boost performance by 40%. Maybe I'm way off-base here, but
> it's late and I just got home from work :)

Sorry for the delay. Finally remembered to ask a friend at AMD...

He responded with the following web page.

http://www.devx.com/amd/Article/31641

I only glanced at it, so don't know if it'll answer your questions.
Someone else mentioned that the PathScale compiler is mega-expensive.

In any case, you can optimize quite a bit with gentoo ( or package
compilation with debian, RH, *BSD, etc. ) over the generic packages
available from the binary packages.

I believe x86 packages for Ubuntu, Fedora and SuSE packages are actually
compiled for i686 whereas debian is compile for i386.

There might be additional optimization for the x64 packages beyond what's
normally used. Anyone know how the optimizations affect interoperability
with 32 bit code where needed?

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  Very frankly, I am opposed to people being programmed by others.
#    -- Fred Rogers, aka Mr. Rogers (1928-2003)