Fancy a new distribution

FoulDragon at aol.com FoulDragon at aol.com
Thu Jun 8 11:08:05 MST 2006

In a message dated 6/8/2006 4:34:34 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
reed at reedmedia.net writes:

>You may want to look at the BSDs again.

>I am not sure what you mean by being reliant about sucking packages down
>the network. If you use the same software on different systems, you will
>have to download the same. (The binaries would be at least similar in
>size.)

I mean:

Some distributions (Debian comes to mind) don't really release a
top-to-bottom up-to-date disc set very often, so you're expected to install a
near-obsolete version, then dist-upgrade to the new stuff.  Which means six weeks on the
modem.

Some distributions (FreeBSD, not a distro, I know, but Gentoo) simply don't
put much software on the CD itself, instead relying on a package system which
downloads prior to use.

>But if you mean, you want the software to be available in the default
>install direct from the installation CDs ...

That's what I mean; it doesn't have to be in the default install, but the big
things-- kernel source, OpenOffice.org, etc. had better not be on the far end
of a 56k straw.

I note that not a lot has changed... I recall my old parallel scanner
wouldn't work with sane before, and my new USB one won't either :D  And nobody seems
to report getting my old "Penguin sticker and closed source driver" Samsung
1210 printer under NetBSD.