OT: computer donations?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Jun 7 21:04:53 MST 2006

Am 07. Jun, 2006 schwätzte Dazed_75 so:

> On 6/7/06, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:
>>
>> Am 07. Jun, 2006 schwätzte Dazed_75 so:
>>
>> Has AZStRUT started putting GNU/Linux or at least Free Software
>> applications like OpenOffice.org on the boxen?
>

> The office I work in has not though I keep suggesting it.  However, at least

Would it help if we gave them a presentation on the benefits of using Free
Software?

> one of the schools in the program has started doing so.  In fact, I talked
> to one of the  instructors who told me a student had set up a CD to automate
> the whole process.  I asked for more info and he was going to get the
> student in touch with me.  I have not heard back yet but that may be becuase
> we are past end of term.

I'd love to have him come in and give us a presentation or three!

> Interestingly, I saw a number of the boxes from that school this week and
> found a mix of linux and win98 on them and Open Office on all.  There was a
> mix of OO 1.5? and 2.0 but the 1.5 was on a very low end box so maybe it
> would not support 2.0.  I did not have time to check into it further.

Cool that someone's pushing Free Software at the school.

>> Do the recyclers actually do a good job cleaning up the waste?
>

> I do not actually know but I am told they do.  At that same dinner where I
> talked to the instructor, I also talked to someone who had visited the
> recyclers and he was reasonably impressed.  But it was a short conversation
> so I really did not get any info.  The company is
> http://www.westechrecyclers.com/about.html if anyone knows about them.

Yup. Bought equipment from them on several occasions. I haven't seen their
whole operation, but the location in downtown didn't impress me with being
environmentally friendly :(.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  When you are tired of choosing the lesser of two evils,
#  Vote Cthulhu for President!