Wildcarded CNAMEs (slightly OT)

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Wed Jun 7 19:18:27 MST 2006

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 06:48:30PM -0700, Bill Jonas wrote:

> Thanks for the pointer.  I'll have to dig up a copy of /DNS and BIND/
> and re-read it (or at least skim it).
>
> Upon re-reading those two sentences, I feel I should add a "no pun
> intended" or two to that.

I wish I still had a copy. It was for BIND 8, but much would still
apply. Oh, and nice pun. :)

> > When I was doing SA work I had domain and host adding done in scripts,
> > which added the MX for each host.
>
> Host or zone?  I didn't include MX records since I was told not to --
> the domain was a spelling variant of the "real" one, and the other one
> was set up for mail.

Well, scripts to add zones, add hosts to zones, etc. Generally there are
only a few nuggets of info and the rest is template.

Anyway, MX, CNAME, whatever. The problem is the grunge work created by
not being able to use wildcards in that fashion. Automate any/all grunge
work and your administration life will get easier.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |