Wildcarded CNAMEs (slightly OT)

Bill Jonas bill at billjonas.com
Wed Jun 7 18:48:30 MST 2006

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 06:34:21PM -0700, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> The short answer is No. It's been a long time since I was heavy into
> BIND, but as I remember wildcards don't do what you think they do. Of
> course that's very unfortunate because almost everyone wants to do
> exactly what you're trying to do.

Thanks for the pointer.  I'll have to dig up a copy of /DNS and BIND/
and re-read it (or at least skim it).

Upon re-reading those two sentences, I feel I should add a "no pun
intended" or two to that.

> When I was doing SA work I had domain and host adding done in scripts,
> which added the MX for each host.

Host or zone?  I didn't include MX records since I was told not to --
the domain was a spelling variant of the "real" one, and the other one
was set up for mail.

Thanks again.

--
Bill Jonas    *    bill at billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step