file size differences

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Wed Jun 7 13:44:54 MST 2006

Sean Roe wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am having trouble figuring out a problem and I was hoping another
> view point on it might help:
>
> 1) I make a mysql dump every night on one of our database servers.  It
> ends up getting tarred and gzipped
> 2) In the morning I unzip the sql file and run a  sum on it, example:
> #sum nightly.sql
> 47339 3641964
> 3) I ftp the sql file over to another machine I have tried this in
> both ascii and binary mode.
> 4) I sum the file on the second machine:
> forumsdb:~# sum nightly.sql
> 00520 3641964
>
> as you can see the sums are different.  I am at a loss as to why.
> Anyplace I should look?
> BTW Box 1 is a debian Sarge box running 2.6.8-11-amd64-k8-smp kernel
> and Box 2 is Fedora Core 5  box running 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 kernel
>
> Thanks,
> Sean

There may be differences in the way your filesystems are laid out
(blocksize/etc).
I'd do a wc -l to count the number of lines or whatever or use MD5 or
some other hashing algorithm to compare hashes of the contents of the file.
ALSO... FTP in text mode can add filler to the file.  Instead use scp to
copy the file or make sure binary mode is on in FTP.
JD