Fancy a new distribution

FoulDragon at aol.com FoulDragon at aol.com
Wed Jun 7 11:19:05 MST 2006

I think I'm gonna go over to the East Side meeting tomorrow, which gives me
an opportunity to bum for discs.  :D

The thing is, it's been several years since I shopped around on distributions.

I used to like Slackware, but I notice there's no official x86-64 version
(there IS slamd64 though).

I'm hesitant on Gentoo, anything Debian-derived, or most BSDs (although I
LIKE the retro feel many BSDs offer) because they seem very reliant about sucking
packages down the network.  When a 120Mb package takes 12 hours of nursing
the connection, you can see why I'm hesitant.  I want lots of packages on the
discs, and reasonably current ones.

Other major dislikes:  SysV init scripts.  Graphical boot.

Should I just go for slamd64, or does anyone else do a disc-oriented
distribution without all the pretty shinies?