Lenovo will snub Linux in favor of MS

Kevin plug-discuss at firstpacket.com
Mon Jun 5 09:56:41 MST 2006

On 6/5/06 9:26 AM, "Jason Hayes" <hh at hayz.ws> wrote:
> Here's where you can reach them - http://www.lenovo.com/contact/us/en/

I went here:

<http://www.lenovo.com/scripts/contact/contact3/us/en>

...and typed this:

---[SNIP]---
Since Lenovo has announced that it will not offer or support GNU/Linux on
it's standard or custom-order products, I will no longer purchase these
products.  I will also share my concern with the thousands of I.T.
Professionals I interact with daily who participate in the Free and Open
Source Software (F/OSS) community, including GNU/Linux users, developers,
consultants, administrators, as well as I.T. executives and decision makers.

I understand that Lenovo's primary focus is on the large enterprise user.  I
also work with several large enterprise customers, some of which make
subcomponents of your products or the networks that connect them.  You
should be aware that many of them are doing their product development and
testing with GNU/Linux and other F/OSS platforms and tools including most
processor and ASIC development.  These large-scale high-tech companies
represent a very large part of the Enterprise market you are potentially
abandoning with this policy mistake.

I hope that Lenovo will reconsider this short-sighted decision and embrace a
more inclusive policy for it's customers, but until then, Lenovo's excellent
products will be largely abandoned by the Open Source trend that is clearly
gaining momentum in the I.T. industry worldwide.

Hopefully, many others will do something similar.

...Kevin