Ubuntu 5.10 to 6.06 Upgrade Experience

Joseph Sinclair plug-discuss at stcaz.net
Sun Jun 4 20:45:20 MST 2006

An alternate view:
  I went through the upgrade process this weekend as well, unfortunately it wasn't quite as smooth for me.
I strongly recommend that anyone who has installed applications from universe run the upgrade using the apt-get method, and make SURE you're in single-user mode (init 1) when you run it.
I had a TON of conflict issues because I tried to run the simple method using upgrade-manager (the price of laziness, I guess).  I had to drop into single-user mode and rerun the whole process using
apt-get dist-upgrade, at which point everything went in just fine.  One other note, based on the types of failures I had, DON"T attempt to restart the machine if something goes wrong, you could
very well end up with an unbootable system.  Use Ctrl-Alt-F1 and go into single user mode from there if you have problems, most of the conflict issues I had happened after critical items, like udev and hotplug
were removed, and before the replacements were configured, so the system was distinctly unreliable at that point.

One minor correction:  Firefox and Thunderbird are 1.5, not 3.5 (3.5 won't be out until at least around mid-2008, based on the latest roadmap discussions).

==Joseph++