Ubuntu 5.10 to 6.06 Upgrade Experience

Jeff Garland jeff at crystalclearsoftware.com
Sun Jun 4 20:06:16 MST 2006

Small contribution for those Ubuntu users thinking of upgrading to 6.06.

Short story -- I went thru the process today.  It was completely
painless -- it worked perfectly.  The upgrade has some really nice
software upgrades including an upgrade to Firefox 3.5 and Thunderbird
3.5. Do it!

Longer story -- I was mostly a Mandrake user for several years (I still
have a Mandrake machine), but recently I built a new AMD64 machine and
installed the 5.10 -- 64 bit version of Ubuntu (thx for the prize at the
dev meeting!).  I was a little disappointed since 5.10 had a very old
version of Firefox.  Of course, compared to Mandrake the combination of
apt and the graphical counterparts, Ubuntu is so, so, so nice to keep
updated with the latest software.  After several nightmares with
Mandrake upgrades, I was apprehensive, but the major upgrade from 5.10
to 6.06 didn't disappoint.  I can honestly say that this was the easiest
major upgrade of an OS/Applications ever in my life -- just kicked it
off, kept working away for about 30 minutes while the downloads were
going, and then one reboot, and back to business.  Sweet.

In case no one noticed, this is a place where Linux has a major lead on
MS right now -- yes, you can get 64bit Windows, but try to find device
drivers and applications -- it's tough.  On top of that, the idea of
installing a major OS upgrade and having it automatically upgrade all
the apps -- well, that just can't happen on Windows. Anyway, many thanks
to all the folks that made this one fleeting moment of software euphoria
possible :)

Jeff