OT: High speed without ISP?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jun 3 17:33:37 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-03 at 16:59 -0700, KevinO wrote:

> Craig White wrote:
> > Cox has an interesting arrangement...if you are a residential user
> > (DHCP), you can use smtp.west.cox.net. If you are a business user (fixed
> > ip addresses), you have to call their technical support and get your ip
> > address permitted to relay via a different smarthost.
> Or just send directly from your mail server.
>
> If you are on a Cox business account, all services are allowed. I've
> only ever run into one ISP that rejected one of my IP addresses. An
> email to Cox got them on the case. Cox technical support contacted the
> ISP in question (SBC) and straightened them out.
----
My past efforts to get Cox to set a proper reverse dns for the business
account ip address have failed and many mail servers (including those I
administer and AOL and ???) refuse to accept e-mail from servers whose
ehlo/helo doesn't match reverse dns (yeah, this breaks RFC's).

Thus, while Cox permits you to run your own mail server and doesn't
restrict port 25 traffic on a business account, without reverse dns, you
are bound to have mail delivery rejections...and that is what the OP is
trying to solve.

Craig