How to install lilo to the MBR?

joe joe at tlnf.com
Mon Jul 31 14:39:32 MST 2006

.
Searching the 'net for answers, I found the information copied
below (my question, then, is at the bottom, after this):

If the LILO files have already been removed ... try using the DOS fdisk
program to rebuild the master boot record with this command (from a DOS boot
floppy):

    * fdisk /mbr

LILO Usage At boot time, LILO will present you with a boring prompt:

LILO:

If you do nothing, LILO will wait the amount of time specified in its
configuration file and then boot the default operating system image. You can
choose an operating system image to boot by typing its label here. If you
can't remember what the labels are, press the TAB key to see a list. The
default image is normally labelled "linux". If your lilo.conf was built by the
Linux setup program, you may also have one called "dos" that boots the DOS or
Windows partition.

If you need to pass special parameters to the Linux kernel, you can do it by
typing them after the image name. For example, if you need to login to Linux
in single-user mode to repair a damaged system (or because you forgot the root
password), you can type:

    * linux single

Or if that fails, try:

    * linux 1

Is this ... fdisk /mbr ... something I could/should try?

Could I do this from the Windows booted partition rather than
from a windows boot floppy?

Is there any risk of damage or worse to my Linux partitions
and data?