What are the steps to connect up to Qwest DSL?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sun Jul 30 22:03:33 MST 2006

Am 30. Jul, 2006 schwätzte joe so:

> What are the steps to connect a Linux box up to Qwest DSL?
>
> I just subscribed to Qwest's DSL service and I purchased
> a "2WIRE" brand DSL modem/router that was recommended by
> a tech at RedSeven Computers.
>
> After connecting everything up, power, phone wire, the yellow
> ethernet wire (I guess that is what it is), I rebooted and
> the modem/router shows two green lights and one yellow light,
> but what else do I need to do?
>
> When I move the mouse over the the network interface icon
> on the status bar panel, a prompt says: "Network is up on
> interface eth0" and when I click on that icon, a "Network
> Monitoring" dialog opens and shows "sent" and "received"
> activity, but when I click on the "Connect adsl" button,
> after seeing "Connecting to Internet" for a few seconds,
> I see a message that reads: "Connection failed. Verify your
> connection in the Mandriva Linux Control Center"

The connect adsl is likely for when one is using an internal DSL card.

The DSL connection is being handled by the external box.

To the computer it's just an ethernet connection. Doesn't matter what's
the other side of the switch.

Did you try to just get to an outside connection before trying to activate
the DSL connection?

/sbin/traceroute -n 129.219.13.81

If that works try to traceroute and ping some host by name. If that works
try to pull up a web page or check your mail.

You should be getting an IP address from the 2wire device via DHCP.

You do not want Zeroconf.

ciao,

der.hans