Minimal Firewall

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Jul 28 18:06:44 MST 2006

Am 28. Jul, 2006 schwätzte Joseph Sinclair so:

>> http://www.koobox.com/essentialkoobox.php
>>
>> Anybody know if Linspire has stopped using root as the default/only login?
>
> You can always just blast it and put your favorite distro on the system,
> same as if it came with Windows, except no payment to Redmond.  Given
> the less-than-stellar setup of Linspire, that's definitely what I'd do.

Yes, *I* can, but if I can point people at an inexpensive computer I don't
have to reinstall for them that would be fantabulous.

If the essentialkoobox were $300 and came with Ubuntu ( which properly
handles escalated priviliges ) and had a preconfigured modem setup with
some ISP for < $10 month I'd likely buy one for my grandma next week.

I would also point multiple people at it. I might even push to mention it
in our InstallFest announcements :).

With Ubuntu I'd still might need to run EasyUbuntu to get the multimedia
stuff setup, but otherwise non-techs could be in charge of their OS
future.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  "If your girlfriend is crying crocodile tears it's because she's either
#  got salt in her eye or she's been listening to Air Supply."
#    -- Alice Cooper, 08Mar2005