Errors Reading DVD

Patrick C patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 11:18:20 MST 2006

I've recently been trying to install openSuSe 10.1 on my desktop, which I
have installed several times before, but for some reason, when it gets to
the actual install phase, it always chokes. It gives me a message saying
that a package (different package every time) can't be found on the medium
(DVD). If I click retry, YaST then crashes, and it fails. I've already
verified that the DVD is fine. I've installed it on another system, written
the iso from a different DVD writer, etc. I already know that it's not the
IDE cable that's bad, and I don't think the power is the problem either.
I've also switched out the RAM to make sure it wasn't failing because of bad
RAM. It had no operating system at all until my dad decided to restore
Windows from an image just to get SOMETHING on there. Somehow, I get the
feeling that Windows wouldn't install from a CD either. Oh yeah, we also
tried installing it from the 5 CDs. Right now the computer is sitting on
it's side, laid naked on the desk next to me and I'm sitting here rather
angry, using my sister's computer.