Minimal Firewall

Victor Odhner vodhner at cox.net
Tue Jul 25 22:25:36 MST 2006

Thanks for all the comments.  Here's my summary.

VO:  It looks like the Linksys WRT54GL at under $100 is by far the
cheapest way to go, pretty
much right on target, and I'd have to pay $300 or more for a nicer
package in PC form.

Vic

--- Summary of responses ---

Jonathan Claxton wrote:
 > One can pick up a small box pc  . . .

VO:  As noted below, you can't get one with passive cooling for under
$200, and will
pay more if you want a nice package.  As you approach $1000 they get *very*
nice, bulletproof industrial strength, but I don't live in that world . . .

Jesus E Zepeda wrote:

>  http://www.smallpc.com/pcswoutfans.php

VO:  Wow.  I respect that they are selling rugged, industrial-grade equipment,
but their prices (no box under $900) pretty much knock me out of their market.

Alan wrote:

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/store/Mini_ITX_Systems/IDE_CF_Mini_ITX_System
 > http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=3

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=EPIA+EN12000&num=100&hl=en&hs=pLW&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=fanless+computer+firewall&hl=en&btnG=Search

VO:  OK, those prices are better, but the prices are still about $200 and up,
and I seem to be losing out on the "turnkey" thing -- it does not look
like there is anything that won't require some assembly.

So my conclusion is that no PC product meets my specs:
 1. Low power, passively cooled, quiet.
 2. Turnkey on the hardware side.
 3. Close to turnkey on the software side.
 4. and oh yes ... not too expensive.
 5. Ability to run sniffers, etc. might be interesting, but not sure I'd use that.

... and the WRT54GL at safely under $100 looks like the way to go.
When I have a little time to play, I'll go for it.

Thanks again,

Vic