Samba/LDAP/tdbsam question

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Mon Jul 24 11:02:17 MST 2006

I have a remote office with an extremely slow internet connection. In the past
all machines authenticated to the domain through that network connection to
the main office, which often caused timeouts or other network errors as all
user files were on the server in the main office.

I purchased a Dell server with RHEL4 and setup a basic samba domain and dhcp
ip addressing. Now all users authenticate to that samba machine with a tdbsam
database.

The network has now been upgraded, and I would like to connect that domain to
our main office again. The main office uses a samba/ldap auth system.
What is the best way to setup the remote office to authenticate to the main
office? Can I setup a second ldap:// backend in samba and use both the main
office ldap db and the tdbsam db?

I don't want to have to change the domain accounts on all the machines, so I
am hoping I can keep their current domains, but simply use the user
information from the main office.

Easy / totally stupid / hard ?
Suggestions?

Nathan