cable modem

George Toft george at georgetoft.com
Mon Jul 24 10:53:30 MST 2006

To elaborate on Kurt's reply . . .

Having the always on high-speed Internet connection increases your risk
of attack substantially over a dial-up connection:
- More attacks can take place per unit time as the speed is faster; and
- More attacks will take place as it is on for more time.

For example, I had over 11,200 unique IP address probe my firewall last
week - that is up from 130 unique IP's 4 years ago.  That's a lot of
people with nothing else to do but try to get into your system.

You need a good firewall and you need to keep it current.  Also, I would
not suggest using D-Link - they have a history of security issues - one
as recent as last week.  Some may not apply to your situation:
http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=d-link++vulnerability&btnG=Search

I recently performed a vulnerability scan against a commercial D-Link
router/firewall and came up with some really weird readings.  D-Link
just makes me nervous.

Very little beats a well-hardened, up-to-date, Linux box.

Cheers,

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
My IT Department
www.myITaz.com
480-544-1067

Confidential data protection experts for the financial industry.