ViewSonic VA2012wb

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Sun Jul 23 22:03:51 MST 2006

Eric "Shubes" wrote:
> Ok, I've narrowed it down to eVGA 256-A8-N341-L2 Geforce 6200 256MB
> 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card. Newegg has it for $45.99 after $10 rebate.
>
> Two questions:
> 1) Any gotchas?
> 2) Will this card be a noticeable improvement? I'm assuming that my
> onboard will do 1680x1050 wide format.

It all depends on what you are doing.  If you are just trying to make
sure that the video can output to your new viewsonic, then the onboard
will be more than adequate.  If all you are doing is surfing the web,
doing email, playing older or non-3d games, then the onboard is more
than up to the task.

If, however, you want to play the latest Quake or Half Life or what have
you, then your onboard will almost surely not suffice.  Likewise, if you
want to try out the new Xgl OpenGL-enabled X server with compositing,
then you will likely need a new dedicated 3d card.

Kurt