Change hostname etc.?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Thu Jul 20 12:48:43 MST 2006

>> 4 - Configure for login authentication from Windows domain.
>
> Tell us more about that. Is the authentication server setup to know the
> desired hostnames (if that matters)?

While installing, and at anytime in the User Management of YaST, you can
set the "Authentication and User Data Sources".  There under Samba you can
define that the authentication is handled by a Windows domain.  You don't
have to create local users in that case because when someone is
authenticated their user information is created automatically.

I brought it up because after my first hostname change attempt, a
previously successful user login failed.  Also, the SUSE KDM login screen
usually lists previously successful login user IDs to the left of the
input boxes.  When the hostname was changed, the list of user IDs was not
shown.  When I saw that the list was blank, I feared that logins would
fail, which they did.

I don't think the authentication server cares about the hostname, per se.
My assumption was that the authentication fails because the hostname is
somehow mixed in with the keys and authentication process.  If a location
that is accessed by the process still has the old name, it no longer
matches resulting in a failed attempt.  This is just guessing on my part.