Asterisk (complete n00b)

Kevin plug-discuss at firstpacket.com
Fri Jul 14 12:48:27 MST 2006

On 7/14/06 12:02 PM, "JD Austin" <jd at twingeckos.com> wrote:

> That functionality is very trivial to implement.

> To plug it into your phone line you'd need an FXO device such as a X100P
> clone or Sipura 3000 device (voipsupply.com).
> If you want to utilize existing phones you'll need an FXS device (Sipura
> 3000 includes one) to plug the phone into asterisk; there are many to
> choose from on voipsupply.com.  A TDM400p card with one inbound
> (FXO=receives dialtone) and one outbound (FXS=creates dialtone) card

JD, thanks for the detail.  So, I would need a spare PC and a Sipura 3000
($90-$100).

What would the physical layer look like?  Something like this?

[Sipura]
[ FXO  ]<---POTS Line
[ FXS  ]-->Cat3Block-->3 analog phones
[ 10bT ]-->Asterisk PC

Also, what is the failover plan if the Sipura loses power?  Any chance it
fails "open" and just passively passes dialtone from FXO to FXS? (stop
laughing)

For that matter, what if the Asterisk server loses power or network
connectivity?

...Kevin