OT: Digital Audio Recorders (This is a tech-savvy group w/ varied backgrounds)

Mark Jarvis mark.jarvis at pvmail.maricopa.edu
Wed Jul 12 23:54:29 MST 2006

We occasionally have the need/desire to record something--a speech by a
friend, the lines for a kids' puppet show (so they don't have to worry
about managing puppets and talking at the same time), etc. Time was, we
used a portable tape recorder and put up with all the pops and clicks as
the recording was stopped and restarted and the occasional tape eating
machine. The brave new world of digital electronics should have some
much better solutions.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of gear? And possibly a
recommendation--either of a specific model or a store to go to? We don't
need a super pro-type item, just an easy-to-use, preferably fairly
inexpensive, basic handheld. It would need to be able to download to a
PC for CD burning as well as have the ability to play back
itself--possibly through (small) external speakers.

CompUSA shows 15-20 models online, so we'll be looking at a local
store--and crossing fingers about finding a knowledgeable clerk.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

-mj-