Advocacy: A discouraging conversation

Mark Jarvis mark.jarvis at pvmail.maricopa.edu
Tue Jul 11 23:56:21 MST 2006

Hey, don't forget the statistic (true or not) that we've all heard many
times that 60+% of the adults in this country can't program their VCRs.
Personally, I think that they simply don't want to know bad enough to
bother to learn. For example my wife, who's a whiz with MS Publisher and
can Google things out on the 'net as well as or better than I can,
refuses to bother to learn how to use our Cox, VCR, or DVD boxes.

Along the same lines, I'll bet that 50% of the twenty-somethings out
can't take the dimensions of a room and the sq. footage a gallon of
paint will cover and figure out how many gallons of paint are needed to
paint a room. (10-25% will start by multiplying (length x width x
height) AAAaaarrrgggghhhhh!!!

-mj-