Advocacy: A discouraging conversation

Siri Amrit Kaur tigerflag at tigerflag.com
Tue Jul 11 23:36:40 MST 2006

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 09:53 pm, Joshua Zeidner kindly wrote:
> Alan,
>
>   You think thats bad?  Here is what a US Senator has to say about the
> internet.  Very Funny Stuff:
>
>   "And again, the internet is not something you just dump something on.
> It's not a truck.  It's a series of tubes."  Senator Ted Stevens (R-Alaska)
>
>    http://media.publicknowledge.org/stevens-on-nn.mp3
>
> -josh

Oh. My. God. Thanks for the link (I think). I just might take up drinking.

He managed to hit my two political hot buttons in one speech:

First, I just LOVE it when politicians call us "consumers". Visions of a pigs
at a trough. Bread and Circuses. I am a "Citizen", dammit! There's a
difference.

Second, one more "Bill of Rights" granted to us by our benevolent rulers.
Doesn't anyone remember anymore, that the original "Bill of Rights" is a list
of rights we are _born_ with. They were not granted to us by government, thus
they can never be revoked by government... unless we LET them.

The idea of government _granting_ us a "Healthcare Bill of Rights", an
"Internet Bill of Rights", ad nauseum, is a total contradiction of the
concept behind THE "Bill of Rights". Every "Bill of Rights" granted to us by
our dear rulers is one more step leading us away from the responsibilities of
citizenship, into the degradation of consumerism.

Siri Amrit
--
Tigerflag Natural Perfumery, LLC
www.tigerflag.com