VPS - SendMail Config

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 10:51:02 MST 2006

Hi Craig,

Thanks for all the info.  I'll be taking a look.

Again Thanks
Keith

Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote: On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 08:23 -0700, keith smith wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> I've been reading about postfix for years.
>
> My concern is messing up a vps server .... this is for leaning mostly
> so I guess I give it a try.
>
> The last Linux I used was Debian Patato.  I was familiar with apt-get
> and how to determine which package to get.  I would go to the Debian
> website where they listed all the packages.
>
> I'm aware of exim, postfix,qmail, and sendmail.  I hear exim is good
> but not widely used.  Qmail is reportedly difficult to configure.
> Evey one says to avoid sendmail.   I've also read that sendmail is not
> all that efficient.  I have read good things about postfix over the
> years.  I think postfix will be my next stop.
>
> I'm not sure how to find the yum command to uninstall sendmail and
> what  package would install PostFix.  - I'll start by checking with
> google....
----
yum install postfix

system-config-mail # provides menial switch over from sendmail ->
postfix or vice versa
----

> Where can I go to look up the packages on Fedora Core 5?
----
yum search PACKAGE_NAME_OR_FRAGMENT

if you want click through...
ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/5/i386//os/Fedora/RPMS

but that is just 'core' and each repo has it's own set of packages
(updates, rpmforge, livna, etc.)

yum search looks at all configured repositories
----

> Any suggestions on a pop3 server?
----
cyrus-imapd
-----

> And I'm still not clear on setting up an email account.  Is that
> handled through the pop3 server?
----
system-config-users
----
> I saw port 587 was used in sendmail also.  Is that a standard
> alternative to port 25?
----
sure - google it

Craig