VPS - SendMail Config

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 11:16:30 MST 2006

Hi George,

I took a look at the Toaster.  Impresive.

I tried to install qmail about 3 years ago and died on the vine.

After reading the Toaster I wonder why I would not be able to yum intall qmail ETC .... add my virtual hosted domain, add an email address, restart the mail server and be on my way?

Thanks a bunch.
Keith

George Toft <george at georgetoft.com> wrote: I used to be a Qmailphobiac.

Qmail was a beast to set up and config.  Inter7 has done a lot of work
to make it better.  Shupp has done even more - he made instructions even
my grandma could follow.  Qmail by itself is pretty lackluster.  Toss in
some patches and you've got a very robust mail server that supports
virtual mail.

Go here:
 http://shupp.org/toaster/#preface
and follow the instructions.  Scrape and paste, and it's done.  I had to
localize my instructions because of my heightened security posture.  If
you changed your umask or any directory permissions, you may find some
snags.  If it's a default Linux box, you'll be fine.

It will take about 4 hours for the compilation.  In the end, you get
spam filtering, anti-virus, pop, imap, webmail.  Once set up, a web page
is used to create e-mail accounts, forwards, etc.

For what it's worth, I just had a commercial vulnerability scanner hit
the box yesterday and it came up clean.  I've used nessus against it as
well, so it is very secure.

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
My IT Department
www.myITaz.com
480-544-1067

Confidential data protection experts for the financial industry.