VPS - SendMail Config

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 08:23:35 MST 2006

Hi Ben,

I've been reading about postfix for years.

My concern is messing up a vps server .... this is for leaning mostly so I guess I give it a try.

The last Linux I used was Debian Patato.  I was familiar with apt-get and how to determine which package to get.  I would go to the Debian website where they listed all the packages.

I'm aware of exim, postfix,qmail, and sendmail.  I hear exim is good but not widely used.  Qmail is reportedly difficult to configure.   Evey one says to avoid sendmail.   I've also read that sendmail is not all that efficient.  I have read good things about postfix over the years.  I think postfix will be my next stop.

I'm not sure how to find the yum command to uninstall sendmail and what  package would install PostFix.  - I'll start by checking with google....

Where can I go to look up the packages on Fedora Core 5?

Any suggestions on a pop3 server?

And I'm still not clear on setting up an email account.  Is that handled through the pop3 server?

I saw port 587 was used in sendmail also.  Is that a standard alternative to port 25?

Thanks a bunch for all your help,
Keith

Empty <plug at emptiedout.com> wrote: keith smith wrote:
> I'm trying to configure sendmail 8.13 on Fedora Core  5.  This is a VPS and I'm doing everything from the command line.

No clue on that one, but I would suggest Anything but Sendmail... Try
Postfix or Exim or, if you are fairly knowledgeable, qmail.

> All I want to do is create an email account info at travelingcheese.net and access it via Thunderbird or webmail. - no local user.

So you need a POP3 or IMAP server too...

> I would also like to add a port in addition to port 25 for smtp as an alternate.

The port you want is port 587.

~Ben
--
---
"Confession only helps if you actually feel bad for your actions.