56K Modem War Stories

Empty plug at emptiedout.com
Mon Jul 10 07:42:34 MST 2006

Mike Garfias wrote:
> I haven't used a modem in forever, but when I had to, USR was all I ever used.
>
> Ebay on old courier.  Things were built like tanks.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/USR-Courier-v-everything-v-90-56k-External-Modem_W0QQitemZ103001191861QQcategoryZ14920QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Having had a few hundred of these (literally- a lot of old-school ISPs
would shuck the shells on these and slide the boards into a specially
designed rack shelf with a Portmaster 2 serial aggregator to create a
dialup POP) I can honestly say the v.everything is a fine piece of modem.

Basically you nwill have almost no problem with anything containing a
UART chip and almost no joy with anything that does not have one(EG
winmodem).

~Ben

--
---
"Confession only helps if you actually feel bad for your actions.