useradd command difficulties

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Wed Jul 5 12:59:45 MST 2006

Hey there,

You'll probably want to change your line from:
   useradd  -d /home/klsmith03/public_html -m - g ftpuser -p test03 -s
/bin/ftp klsmith03

to:

   useradd  -d /home/klsmith03 -m - g ftpuser -s /bin/false klsmith03

Reason being is that -d is the user's home directory,
/home/klsmith03/public_html won't be created if /home/klsmith03 doesn't
exist.   "-s" is the shell, /bin/ftp is not a shell, and honestly I
don't know what'd happen if you had that there.  /bin/false or
/bin/nologin, depending on the linux distro is the way to go if you want
to create a user, without a shell.  Also, don't specify -p for a
password, as it will create a plain text password.  Another suggestion,
is that if you want "public_html" to be created on account creation, add
it to /etc/skel, the -m will add anything in /etc/skel to a newly
created account.

   My suggestion for creating an FTP only user would be the following:

  (add specific directories to /etc/skel for new accounts)
  useradd  -d /home/klsmith03 -m - g ftpuser -s /bin/false (or
/bin/nologin) klsmith03
  passwd klsmith03 (enter password when prompted)
  (set ftpserver permissions to lock user into the directory of choice,
if your ftpd supports it)

Hope that helps,

  Tony Evans
  Phoenix Wing Interactive